Naval History

Royal Navy Midshipman 3 Incredibly Illustrated Logbooks Kept Between 1868 & 1873, Filled with Over 50 Masterful Illustrations & Maps!



Royal Navy Midshipman 3 Incredibly Illustrated Logbooks Kept Between 1868 & 1873, Filled with Over 50 Masterful Illustrations & Maps!

A set of three logbooks kept by F.O. Passy who served aboard the H.M.S., Prince Consort as a naval cadet and midshipman in 1868, and as a sub lieutenant aboard the H.M.S. Druid between 1872 and 1873. The first volume is a LOG BOOK. (Portsea: James Griffin & Co., [n.y.], 246 pp. filled in, + tipped in illustrations and maps, 4to., bound in cloth gilt-titled boards, "LOG OF H.M.S. PRINCE CONSORT 4045, TONS, 1000. H.P. COMMANDED BY Wm. ARMYTAGE ESQr CAPTAIN AND KEPT BY F.O. PASSY N.C. & MEDn." with leather spine with gilt rules, were maintained by Passy between April 1, 1868 and May 19, 1870. The other two volumes, both entitled: LOG BOOK. (Ruled.) (AS ALLOWED TO BE USED BY TEH EXAMINERS.) (Portsea: James Griffin & Co., 1865), 167pp. & 55pp. filled in,+ illustrations tipped in, 4to. both bound in full-calf with hand-titling and decorated with an image of a ship on the first volume and an anchor on the second, were maintained by Passy between January 5 1872 and November 12, 1873. Rubbing to boards and spines, boards to 1868 log partly-detached, some soiling to boards, pages mostly clean and bright.

The three volumes, all of which bear the typical entries noting weather and crew activities, feature a variety of artworks by Passy, which he tipped into the binding between various pages, including watercolors, gray washes, drawings, and manuscript maps documenting the ships' track. The first logbook documents Passy's first voyage aboard the Prince Consort during its cruise of the Mediterranean Sea between April 1868 and May 1870. The ship, originally named the Triumph when it was launched in 1862, was renamed Prince Consort in honor of the deceased Prince Albert, consort to Queen Victoria. Initially laid down in 1860 as a ninety-one gun Bulwark-class wooden battleship, she was later converted into broadside ironclad. A member of the Mediterranean Fleet, the Prince Consort's route, is minutely documented in a series of manuscript maps including its track sailing off the west coast of Portugal, the southern Mediterranean, Sicily to Greece (three total), Sicily and the boot of Italy (two total), Gibraltar to Corsica (hand-colored), the west coast of Spain (two total; one hand-colored), the Nile Delta (hand-colored), Sicily to Syracuse, and Sicily to Crete. Also included are fourteen original drawings (three of which are hand-colored) depicting mostly landscapes and fortifications as seen from the ship.

The second two log books document the maiden voyage of the H.M.S. Druid which had been laid down in 1867, launched in 1869 and completed in February 1872. For the next year and a half, it cruised the west coast of Africa and contains eighteen original works of art depicting fauna, e.g. jellyfish, butterflies, and South African cattle, flora, landscapes, ships, native weaponry, the ship's layout, and a beautiful hand-drawn and painted frontispiece featuring a gold loop entwined with holly reading "Log of H.M.S. Druid The Honble M.H. Nelson." Much like the first log, these volumes include seven hand-drawn maps charting the ship's course from England to South Africa, the Gulf of Guinea (two total), the coast of South Africa (two total), Ivory Coast, and the town of Elmina. Each map, excluding the map of Elmina, locates the ship's position by date and provides an excellent visual reference for the entries.

Also of interest is a mention, in the third volume, of a bombardment of the village of Beyin, on the coast of Ghana, noted in an entry on October 16, 1873: "8:30 [a.m.] Ship opened fire on village with shot and shell . . . firing rockets . . . 2:30 [p.m.] Ceased firing." Beyin is the site of Fort Apollonia which was originally built as a British trading post in 1691 and was used in the slave trade until it's abolition by Britain in 1819. In 1868, the fort was traded to the Netherlands, but soon again became a British possession, together with the entire Dutch Gold Coast, in 1872. Local residents resisted the transfer, and entered into a collation with the Asante Kingdom. The British bombardment, which nearly completely destroyed Fort Apollonia, was intended to enforce British control of the coastal village and its environs and is one of the opening salvos of what became known as the Third Anglo-Ashanti War (1873-1874).



WE PROVIDE IN-HOUSE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE.



Item: 60071

Price: $22,500.00
Qty
 Naval History Naval History Naval History Naval History
 Naval History Naval History Naval History
Naval History
Click above for larger image.