Max Planck

Max Planck Signed Diploma from Friedrich Wilhelm University, 5 Years before Nobel Prize Physics Win

Max Planck Signed Diploma from Friedrich Wilhelm University, 5 Years before Nobel Prize Physics Win

 

A large diploma in Latin from Friedrich Wilhelm University signed by Professor Max Planck (1858-1947) as "Planck" at lower right. Written in Berlin in Imperial Germany on October 16, 1913. The partly printed and partly handwritten document awarded a Philosophy degree to recipient Wilhelm Beckmann of Brandenburg. Previously folded into eighths, and double hole punched along the left edge, else very clean and bright. 16.375" x 21.75". Accompanied by a smaller Latin document reiterating Beckmann's achievements and signed by the Max Sering (1857-1939), Dean of the Philosophy Faculty. 8.375" x 13.125".

 

In part:

 

"Quod felix faustumque sit auspiciis et auctoritate augustissimi ac potentissimi domini Guilelmi II. Imperatoris Germanorum Borussiae Regis…

 

Rectore Maximaliano Planck Philosophiae Doctore et ordinis philsophorum professore publ. ord…"

 

A translation, with punctuation added for clarity:

 

"By the authority and under the auspices of the most august and most powerful, propitious and prosperous Lord Wilhelm II, King of Prussia and German Emperor…

 

Director Maximilian Planck, Doctor in Philosophy and Philosophy Professor…"

 

Max Planck taught physics at Friedrich Wilhelm University--also called the University of Berlin--between 1889-1928; he became a full professor there in 1892. During his tenure at the institution, Planck discovered energy quanta while studying black-body radiation, revealing groundbreaking facts about the atomic and subatomic world. Planck was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918 for this discovery. As an undergraduate student, Planck had taken an especial interest in theoretical physics and the study of thermodynamics.

 

Friedrich Wilhelm University was established in 1810 by Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm III. One of the leading European universities of its day, it offered students courses in law, medicine, science, theology, history, and philosophy. The university was renamed Humboldt University of Berlin in 1949.

 

This item comes with a Certificate from John Reznikoff, a premier authenticator for both major 3rd party authentication services, PSA and JSA (James Spence Authentications), as well as numerous auction houses.

 

WE PROVIDE IN-HOUSE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!



Item: 67189

Price: $1,000.00
Qty
Max PlanckMax PlanckMax PlanckMax Planck
Max PlanckMax Planck
Max Planck
Click above for larger image.